Law Office of Rhonda D. Zimmerman, Esq.
Law Office of Rhonda D. Zimmerman, Esq.

Reporting Elder Abuse in Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale elder abuse

In Florida, elder abuse is a serious problem. When vulnerable adults are abused, the Adult Protective Services division investigates reports that are made. The Department of Children and Families investigates reports of abuse of adults over the age of 65 and people who have special needs. If you suspect that your loved one has been abused by a caregiver, you should report it and then get help from a Fort Lauderdale elder abuse attorney at the Law Office of Rhonda D. Zimmerman, Esq.

What is elder abuse?

Elder abuse can take several forms, including the following:

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Neglect
  • Emotional abuse
  • Financial exploitation
  • Abandonment

If you see signs that make you believe that your loved one has suffered any type of abuse, you should make a report to APS. The division will then investigate your claim. If your loved one is in immediate danger of harm, you should move him or her to a safe location. Finally, getting help from Rhonda K. Zimmerman, Esq. can help you to hold the perpetrator liable for the abuse or neglect of your loved one.

Reporting Abuse

To report abuse, you can call APS at 1-800-96-ABUSE. Your report will be screened to check if it meets the criteria. If it does, an investigation will begin within 24 hours of your call. Ask to talk to a supervisor if you are told that your report does not meet the department’s criteria. An investigator should meet with your loved one within 24 hours and check for signs of neglect or abuse. The investigation must be finished within 60 days.

When you make your report, try to provide as many details as possible, including the name, gender, age, and behaviors of the abuse victim, the contact information of his or her family members, the contact information of the perpetrator, and the contact information of the person’s caregiver if he or she is different from the abuser. Make sure to give information about the signs that you have witnessed and other information that could be relevant. If someone else might have information about the abuse, provide his or her name and contact information. Your report to APS can be anonymous. In addition to reporting your loved one’s abuse, you should also talk to a Fort Lauderdale elder lawyer at the Law Office of Rhonda D. Zimmerman, Esq.

Get Help from a Fort Lauderdale Elder Lawyer

Fort Lauderdale elder abuse continues to be a prevalent issue. Getting help from an experienced elder law attorney at the Law Office of Rhonda D. Zimmerman, Esq. can help you to protect the safety and rights of your loved one while holding the perpetrator accountable for his or her actions. Contact us today to request a consultation by calling us at (954) 822-7566.

Related Posts